Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Altered Book #2 - A Little Birdie Told Her




Here is an 75 year old hymnal, heavy, lovely and worn. It has an aged church smell. It's a familiar smell, but I can't place which church. I thought about how many hands held this hymnal over many years, singing voices now silent. I glued the pages together and closed it forever. Before that I carved a niche for a small painting.




I painted a small painting on wood of a woman with a bird on her shoulder. The wood is just a sliver of a 2 x4 with acrylic paint. I used the grain of the wood to accentuate the details. I pushed the painting into the niche with some glue.




I purchase several of these old retired hymnals with the intention of giving them a second life as art. I will post some others later...




No comments:

Post a Comment